Thursday, September 8, 2011

Venus is...

Because I am a lucky spoilt lady, this evening I went and saw Venus Is... at the new Q Theatre on Queen St. Sitting next to Auckland Town Hall (and conveniently located moments from Tanuki's Cave) I am very impressed with Q Theatre. While the bar service was slow and the staff weren't paying a huge amount of attention, the wine selection was adequate and it was possible to get a glass of wine (which wasn't terrible) for under $10. The staff thing is just a matter time. Once they get rolling I'm sure they'll be well onto it.


The venue itself is fabulous. I only went into The Loft, but they have really done an amazing job of the space. A number of theatres with a bar and cafe on the ground floor. Also, really nice touches in the bathrooms, flattering lighting and hooks for your bags for when you're washing your hands. Brillant.


Enough about the venue, let me tell you about the show. Venus Is... (in it's own words) physical interpretation of erotic literature.


I think it a perfect description of what I saw tonight. Shakespeare, Nina Simone, Emily Dickinson, Archillachos, Tuppy Jones and James Joyce to name a few, their words spoken and acted out to tell a story about an older couple's memory journey of times past which have shaped their relationship.


There are sexual themes (my personal favourite was the Tuppy Owens - "How to turn a hand-job into a screw") and nudity, but there was so much more. The strength and grace of the performers was outstanding. I have never seen a man of such stature on the silks before. So impressive. The women were fearless with their bodies, both in their exposure and how they were thrown around. The audience participation was a little confronting but also amusing, and I think my favourite part was the fabulous singer who linked so many scenes and looks so picturesque sitting on the piano as it was played.


There is a short clip (not all of which I saw tonight) below which I would recommend you check out, and more to the point, go and see this amazing show. It is incredibly cheap for the calibre of the performers and a fantastic night out. If you do go, seat yourself so that you can see the sand... I feel as though I missed some of the show by not being able to see this.



Not for the prudish and possibly not the best idea for a first date, Venus Is... is on until the 17th. of September. More info & find some tickets here.

Escape the Rugby. Go get some culture.

No comments: