Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Carousel Horse

So tonight I was asked an interesting question by an investment banker...

"What is your necklace all about?"

When I asked why, he said that he hadn't seen one like it and had expected (after talking to me for a while) that it would be from Karen Walker or Bo Runga.

Curious.

There was only one way to answer this question and it was an answer that I wasn't expecting until it came out of my mouth. I love it when that happens.

This particular necklace was given to me a long time ago. So long that I can't remember who gave it to me. Who gave it to me is not what is important, what it means to me now counts for everything.

For the first time in my life, I start this year owing no one anything. Money, love, kindness, forgiveness. As far as I can tell, all debts are paid. For the first time in my life I am riding my own ride at the fair. Not one that someone else has paid for, or given me their courage so that I can jump on. This ride, I am doing by myself.

It is my carousel.

I am by no means saying that I won't let other people join in on the ride, but for the first time ever, I am starting it by myself.

It may seem a little strange that this is what a charm on a necklace could mean to me, but every time I touch it around my neck... it means the whole world is waiting for me.

No comments: